26.6.07

The Pursuit of Happyness...

Yesterday, while trudging the narrow street on my way to work, I noticed a portrait of a family. A father, pedalled with all his strength a worn out trisikad while his wife and his little boy were on board. Their "trisikad" was loaded with plastics and old recyclable materials while the wife was holding a big old umbrella to somehow protect her young boy from the scorching heat of the sun. I felt a sense of sympathy and somehow was thinking just how life might have simply goes on with this kind of portrait of a family.

In the back of my mind, I was tyring to compromise their very poor situation and thought instead that even if they are in such stricken poverty, they must be happy still being together thru the odds and evens of life. I actually saw the weary countenance of the father as he struggled to drive the "trisikad". But then somehow I felt relieved to have noticed that they have a way to go..because they seemed to be really binded with love. It's not their poor situation that filled me with much awe at all, but its the admiration I felt for the father trying to carry in his shoulder the responsibility of a family man no matter what happens. Might be sad somehow to have realized of how much can they go at the far end, what I mean is "survival"...but if their love for each other as family won't ever fade, I think they will be successful along with their faith in God in their pursuit of "happyness".

6 comments:

krystyna said...

Hi Ev!
I always lift up my soul reading your post. You can do it. Thanks.!

Mari said...

There was a song that went this way, "Love will keep us together." And I believe that this love will keep this family together and they will weather the storm that comes their way no matter what. They will be stronger as they travel through life.

Very touching story you have, Ev.

Thanks for sharing.

krystyna said...

How did you find my Amazing Abilities? I hid it, because I lost my comments. I hope- not permanently.
So, Your visit was very special. Thanks!
Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

very moving post,Ev...

yeah,sometimes the poor ones have the greatest factor of happiness...rather than the busy businessmen..i admire the effort and the love that bond these kind of family...

musta na Ev,mah frend?its been a while,eto ako,nabuhay uli :)

a big hug for you!!!
ghee

Anonymous said...

Being happy isn't all about a families monetary status in life, according to the bible One doesn't live on bread alone but by the word of Jesus Christ. We still should be thankful that even dough we are in poverty almost our entire life yet our family still stands strong no matter how strong the tides of life hit us.

ev said...

Love,faith and sacrifice..all must go together to keep the bond in all forms of relationship. And yet sometimes, we sigh over the fact that what we see around us are not what we expect from a life that is so richly gifted by God. And that there is actually a very big difference bet. the rich and the poor.

To put it realistically, man's state of happiness can sometimes and even most often be dictated by what he sees and feels around him..no matter how much we convince him that real happiness should start from within. After all, everything is a decision and a choice.